Scottish Surgical Boot Camp (formerly Highland Surgical Boot Camp) is an innovative, simulation-rich course for new Core Surgical trainees.
AIMS: to accelerate the acquisition of key technical and non-technical skills at the start of a career in Surgery - skills formerly learned only by apprenticeship or experience - and to provide a welcome to, and standard-setting for, a community of professional practice.
- Commissioned by the Scottish Core Surgical Training Programmes as the introductory course for CT1
UPCOMING COURSE DATES:
Sat 9th - Tues 12th September 2017 (fully booked)
Sat 28th - Tues 31st October 2017 (fully booked)
Sat 17th - Tues 20th March 2018
Autumn 2018 dates to be announced soon
LOCATION: Inverness Centre for Health Science
Course fee: £600. Scottish CT1s' fees will be paid by NES (not including locum appts).
Fee includes course fee, lunches, course dinner, but excludes travel and accomodation
Optional half day outdoor pursuits £30 extra
Boot Camp was awarded the NHS Education for Scotland "Innovation in Training" award 2016. Big thanks to the whole faculty, facilitators & admin, volunteer patient actors, and of course all our Bootcamp trainees. You always boost our faith in the future.
- Accessible, expert faculty
- Simulation-rich methods, well-validated; experienced staff and actors, state-of-the-art facility
- Technical and non-technical skills, practised in increasingly complex simulations
- WBA's will appear on your ISCP portfolio.
- Intense programme, but Highland-retreat feel, including outdoor activities day, maximum 16 to a group.
- Non-technical skills for surgeons
- "From basic to intermediate surgical skills": eg bowel anastomosis, plastic skin flaps
- Laparoscopy skills and how to progress
- Prioritisation skills
- Communication Skills for Surgeons: interpersonal, spoken and written
- How to lead a ward round better
- Handling and writing the evidence
- Caring for yourself and your team
- How to get the most from your trainers
TESTIMONY OF PARTICIPANTS
“Experienced staff, beautiful location and facilities, great fun and team spirit, overall fantastic course.”
“It was the most enjoyable course I’ve done.”
“I started a new rotation and had to lead a ward round. ... Instead of feeling stressed I was able to control the distractions using your tips.”
"The simulations felt so real, I could be myself. I didn't have to act."
“The enthusiasm, humour and hard work of faculty was infectious.”
"The bootcamp was excellent. It was well measured in the combination of technical and non-technical skills. ... The anastamosis sessions were excellent - the repetition is not readily available in clinical practice."
"I genuinely feel more capable and comfortable in my job since bootcamp."
TV coverage click here
Ken Walker talking about Simulation and the Boot Camp click here